Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Favorite Photographs of 60 People








1. It was very difficult to get close to a subject without him noticing. The subjects that I got the closest to were the ones that I asked permission. The man in the car wash gave me his permission to take his photograph and I immediately felt more comfortable not having to "sneak" a photo.

2. The man who was washing his car was completely fine with me taking his picture. I told him to just continue with what he was doing and he acted very natural. I found that once I assured people that their photograph wasn't being used for anything bad, the tension eased. I particularly liked these photographs because of the lighting. I really enjoy silhouette photography.

3. The girl flipping her hair is my friend, Tricia. I brought her with me to Chestnut Street while i photographed people. While I was taking pictures of a man vacuuming out his car, I turned around to see her flipping her hair. Even though I didn't instruct her to do that, the photograph came out pretty interesting. I like that her entire face is covered by her hair.

4. The woman at the top of the post was taking a break from walking her dog to get a treat at Dairy Queen. Even though I wish that the framing of the dog was slightly more to the right, I think that this photograph came out pretty successful. The three subjects who are looking at the camera (including the dog), form a nice triangular shape around the woman.

5. When a subject is staring directly into the camera, it connects the photographer with the picture. When a subject isn't staring into the lens, it's easy to forget that there's a photographer behind the camera snapping pictures. For me, photographs with the subject staring into the camera gives off a stronger feeling.

6. I still am uncomfortable photographing strangers, especially on a random street. If I was at an event such as OH-Fest of a sporting game, I don't think that I would feel as uncomfortable because people would actually understand why I was taking photographs. When I was photographing people on Chestnut Street, I could tell that they were wondering, "Why is this random girl taking pictures of me. That's just weird."

1 comment:

  1. I love how in the 1st picture the dog is looking at the camera but the person isn't. I also love the expression you captured in the 4th photo. The guy is obviously talking or gesturing to someone and I really like how even though you can;t hear it you can understand what's going on. I love how the 3rd picture has the silhouette of the person in the foreground and the background is so light and clear. The background isn't the most interesting thing, but the silhouette makes it interesting as a whole. Good job!

    ReplyDelete